John Steinbeck OutlineThis Research Paper John Steinbeck Outline and other 61,000+ term papers, college essay examples and free essays are available now on ReviewEssays.com
Autor: reviewessays • December 26, 2010 • Research Paper • 850 Words (4 Pages) • 1,416 Views
John Steinbeck Outline
I. John Steinbeck used his personal experiences as a laborer to write many of his novels like Of Mice and Men and The Grapes of Wrath.
II. John Steinbeck's Life
1. His dad served as the county treasurer.
2. His mom was a school teacher.
3. He was one four children and was the only boy.
B) Childhood and Adolescence
1.Born on February 27, 1902
2.Began telling stories as a child
3. Sent short stories to magazines under a false name
4. He was interested in biology, the study of human life
5. Large guy, advantage because he excelled in track and basketball
6. Wrote for the school paper
7. Was the president of his senior class
C) Young Adult Life
1. Worked his was through college at Stanford University but never graduated
2. He moved to New York and got a job as a free-lance writer but failed, he then
moved back to California.
3. His first book was Cup of Gold but did not attract much attention
4. The novel Tortilla Flat was Steinbeck's first success.
5. As His reputation as an author began to rise, his personal life took a
Plunge. He got divorced but got remarried but that also ended in divorce
1. Worked on nearby ranches, he became acquainted with a migrant worker
2. Sales clerk, farm laborer, ranch hand, factory worker, construction laborer,
and a caretaker
III. Common settings and Issues
1. The Red Pony- set in Salinas, CA in between two mountains, rural setting, on
2. The Pearl- set in a small fishing village
1. Deals with the economic problems of rural labor
*In Dubious Battle- about striking workers
*Their Blood is Strong- about migrant labor problem
2. Wrote about America's social problems and the poor.
*The Red Pony- about an impoverished family trying to find a better life
*Of Mice and Men- about the troubles of migrant farmers
IV. Of Mice and Men
A) About the Novel
1. Friendship between two migrant workers
2. Lenny is "simple minded" and a bit slow
3. George is his protector and guides him, he takes care of Lenny
B ) Quotes
1. " Guys like us, that work on ranches, are the loneliest guys in the world.
in the world. They got no family. They don't belong no place."
2. " O.K. Someday - we're gonna get the jack together and we're gonna have a
Little house and a couple of acres an' a cow and some pigs and----"
C ) Connection
1. John worked as a laborer during summer vacation as a teenager. He learned
what obstacles they had to work through. He also experienced the hardships as a
2. John met many migrant workers that shared they're experiences with him.
V. The Grapes of Wrath
A ) Summary
1. Illustrated the hardship and oppression suffered by migrant laborers during
the Great Depression.
2. Its about a family who